Wednesday, November 2, 2011

The Somewhat Irreverent Musings of a Fantasy Football Addict - Week 8


By: Brian Waterkotte

Week 8

Hello, Im Brian, I’m 40 years old, and I’m an addict.  It’s Week 6 of the 2011-12 NFL season.

The scene:  I’m in my basement, I have three TVs on (AFC game on the right, NFC on the left, and the Red Zone in the middle).  I’ve got my laptop on my desk with the dual monitor going so I have all 4 fantasy games at a glance.  I’ve got my ice cold Heineken bottle on my right, and my cheese dip to my left.  I’m ready baby!  LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

Each week, I’ll watch all the games and hopefully have an interesting take on the things going on.  I’ll let you be the judge of that.  And I’m going to try to keep it to 1200 words.  Without further ado...

With no Bears game this week, I feel like I can really focus on the other teams.  And so far, I’m extremely impressed with the Rams.  I thought this was going to be a murderous blowout this week, but it’s midway through the second quarter and the Saints haven’t scored.  Wow, as I’m tyiing this Brees was sacked by their first round pick Robert Quinn.

Now I’m also watching the Baltimore / Arizona game, and I’m completely unimpressed with Joe Flacco.  At the beginning of the season, this offense was poised to be one of the elite.  With Ray Rice, Anquan Boldin, Flacco....great offensive line...This may be one of the most disappointing offenses of this season.

Looking up again, it’s now 17 - 0 Rams! 

If the Giants lose this game, it would be the definition of “looking past an opponent”.  The Giants next four out of five games are ruthless:  NE, Philly, NO, San Fran and Green Bay.  And San Fran is 5-1.  So they’re no joke either.  Good luck Giants fans.

How solid is Adrian Peterson?  Every time, win or lose, he’s good for 100+ yards and at least one TD.  I’ve never had him on my team.  I feel like i’m missing an era.

Maybe Reggie Bush can be a every down back?  He’s got 119 yards in the 3rd.  Maybe all he needs is the carries?

I’ll tell you what, Ray Rice owes Anquan Boldin a steak dinner after this game.  Rice has three one-yard TDs today b/c Boldin has three pass interference penalties against him in the end zone.

#91 Justin Tuck
Well, the Giants Def finally arrived to the party.  They logged five sacks in the fourth quarter to shut down the Fins. 

What the hell happened to the Saints?  The Winless Rams are winless no more.  I only got to see bits and pieces of that game, but apparently Brees forgot his Wheaties this morning, b/c he looked like hot mess on a platter.  Picked off, sacked, hurried...not New Orleans’ day.

Baltimore pulled it out.  Saving Joe Flacco for another week.  He’s gotta be close to losing his gig.

Cam Newton is an angry man today.  They were looking at overtime with a 28 yard FG by Olindo Mare, but instead, they take another loss. Speaking of Cam Newton, I got a call from his fantasy owner today asking about the keeper league rules.  He’s already a keeper and it’s only week 8!

I may have to go back on my Stillers comments.  At the half, Stillers beating NE.  I’m not convinced the Stillers can hang on, but so far, they look great. 

I can’t imagine a less interesting game than the Seahawks and the Bengals.  I’m trying to be interested in it, but I just can’t.

At 20-0 Buffalo over Washington, it may be time for Sexy Rexy again.  I’m so not impressed with John Beck.   

I was looking at the Madden cover this morning....and wouldn’t you know it, Peyton Hillis is on the cover.  Another example of the Madden curse.  Thank God I didn’t

San Fran ends up 6-1.  I can’t say enough about Jim Harbaugh.  He has these guys believing.  I’m shocked.  I’m guessing Mike Singletary is shocked too.

Did Cincinnati get another garbage time TD?  Unreal. 

If I were a Tim Tebow fan, I’d be questioning my allegiance at this point.  Rumor has it, the Lions were bored containing him.  How does anyone think this guy is going to be a successful NFL QB?  I just don't see it.

I’m wondering if Phillip Rivers is really Joe Flacco in disguise.  Joe Flacco and Phillip Rivers are both surrounded by extreme talent and neither one can seem to someplace a damn TD pass.  I was looking at Phillip Rivers’s stats yesterday b/c someone offered me a trade for him, and after Monday night’s game, I don’t like the trend.  22, 21, 14, 11...GB is in tap next, and their DBs are suspect.  If he struggles again, consider pinning him.

No comments: