Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Sittin on the dock of the bay ... watching #iStrategy

San Francisco - I'm sitting in a conference room at the InterContinental Hotel, enjoying the latest presentation at the iStrategy Conference http://bit.ly/h13JFo. Social Media people from Heineken, Lionsgate, Radio Shack, the LA Raiders, Century 21 and more are here to share and learn about how to utilize social media to drive engagements with customers and/or prospects.

Have you ever heard someone say, "don't mistake activity for achievement?" That's one of the primary tenents of this conference. It's all about engagement. Having 1,000 followers or 1,000 people viewing your blog every day is fantastic, but if they don't find value and either share or comment on your content - it's worth is questionable. This has me kicking myself in the arse.

I've been writing this blog for a couple of months now - the regularity of eyeballs on the site is improving, but I'm still having a tough time getting that "engagement" piece going. Many of you read the posts, some of you share the posts on Facebook - but most often any engagement happens back on Facebook. Ugh.

What am I doing wrong? Other than interesting posts - which I hope to be creating, what would you like to see from this blog that would increase your engagement?

1 comment:

judi schulz said...

just came across your blog after you started following me on twitter. I have an irregular schedule to my posts as I get busy booking peoples travel and then want some down time.
There are so many talking heads now; how do I find the ones I want to listen to - who is interested in what I have to say and how do they find me??
I guess I am a little too late for this generation of tech talking. I would rather have a face to face or read a book:).
your blog is good by the way - for what it is worth.
Cheers.
Judi Schulz